Get to know Taguig's history and special events.


Origin of Taguig

Before 1500s - Before the Spaniards came, Taguig was a part of Namayan and Tondo ruled by Lakandula. There were also accounts that Chinese settlements were once present in the area as revealed by the recent archaeological diggings of various artifacts like cups, plates and other utensils, which bear Chinese characters. This was believed to have originated from China's Ming dynasty.

The original farmer-fishermen of the area, about 800 in number, were good at threshing rice after harvest. Hence they were referred to as "mga taga-giik," (Tagalog for "rice thresher") and the settlement as "pook ng mga taga-giik." Spanish friar Fray Alonso de Alvarado, together with conquistador Ruy López de Villalobos who crossed the Pasig River to reach the city's present site in 1571, found "taga-giik" difficult to pronounce. "Tagui-ig" was later shortened to its current form "Taguig".



Spanish colonial era

1571 - Taguig was one of the earliest known territories to have been Christianized when the Spaniards succeeded in subjugating mainland Luzon through the Legazpi expedition.

1582 to 1583 - Taguig was part of the encomienda of Tondo headed by an alcalde mayor, Captain Vergara.

1587 - Taguig was established as a separate "pueblo" (town) of the then province of Manila. Captain Juan Basi was its Kapitan from 1587 to 1588. According to records, Taguig had nine barrios then namely, Bagumbayan, Bambang, Hagonoy, Palingon, Santa Ana, Tipas, Tuktukan, Ususan, and Wawa. Santa Ana was then the municipal center of Taguig. Records show that Tipas had once petitioned to become an independent town but was denied by the Spanish government.

Santa Ana Church in 1899

During that time, Taguig was accessible via the Pasig River, which was connected to two large bodies of water, Manila Bay and Laguna de Bay. The population then was estimated to be 800 tributes. The town produced more than enough rice for consumption but had less sugar cane to mill. The men lived through fishing while women wove cotton cloth and "sawali" from bamboo strips. The people of Taguig were known to have resisted both Spanish and American colonial rule. During that early period of Spanish colonization. Don Juan Basi, "Kapitan" of Taguig from 1587 to 1588, took part in the Tondo Conspiracy, an attempt to overthrow the Spanish government which failed. Basi was exiled for two years as punishment. When the Katipunan was on its early years, many from Taguig became followers and later joined the uprising.


August 6, 1898 - The people of Taguig also joined the revolutionary government of General Emilio Aguinaldo.


American colonial era

During the American occupation, they struggled against the forces of General Wheaton under the command of General Pio del Pilar.

February 6, 1899 - Filipino forces including Taguig "revolutionarios" dislodged an American position in the hills of Taguig, now a portion of Pateros and Fort Bonifacio. They were defeated eventually by the Americans with superiority in the armaments and training. Taguig finally fell to the contingent of the First Washington Volunteer Infantry led by Col. Wholly.

August 14, 1898 - The United States occupied the islands and established a military government with General Wesley Meritt as the First Military Governor.

Filipina Natives of Taguig, Philippines 1900

September 1, 1900 - General Meritt exercised legislative powers.

March 29, 1900 - At the start of American occupation, Taguig was proclaimed as an independent municipality with the promulgation of General Order No. 4.

June 11, 1901 - Taguig town was subsequently incorporated to the newly created province of Rizal when the Philippine Commission promulgated Act No. 137.

Taguig municipal hall

October 12, 1903 - Taguig, Muntinlupa and Pateros were merged by the virtue of Act. No. 942 with Pateros hosting the seat of the municipal government. The merger did not last long as a month later Muntinlupa was segregated from it and made part of Biñan when Act. No. 1008 was enacted on November 25, 1903.

March 22, 1905 - The township of Taguig was returned with the promulgation Act No. 1308.

February 29, 1908 - Taguig was again declared an independent municipality through Executive Order No. 20.

January 1, 1909 - Pateros separated from Taguig and Muntinlupa was granted an independent municipality status on December 17, 1917.

It was also during the American Colonial Period that the US government acquired a 25.78 km2 (9.95 sq mi) property of Taguig for military purposes. This large piece of land, which had a TCT dated 1902, was turned into a camp that became known as Fort McKinley (named after William McKinley, 25th president of the U.S.).


Japanese occupation

When the Japanese occupied the Philippines in 1942, Fort McKinley was taken over by the Japanese Imperial Army. They occupied the military camp until the end of the war in 1945.

 

Philippine independence

July 4, 1946 - After the Philippines gained its political independence from the United States, the US surrendered the Republic of the Philippines all right of possession, jurisdiction, supervision and control over the Philippine territory except the use of the military bases.


May 14, 1949 - Fort William McKinley was turned over to the Philippine government by virtue of the US Embassy Note No. 0570.

1957 - Fort McKinley was made the permanent headquarters of the Philippine Army and was subsequently renamed Fort Bonifacio after the Father of the Philippine Revolution against Spain, Andres Bonifacio.

1959 Taguig municipal hall (later on became a city hall in 2004) was built in Barangay Tuktukan and was renovated thrice.


The Martial Law era

1972 - When Ferdinand Marcos placed the Philippines under martial law, Taguig, which contained Fort Bonifacio, became the host of two detention centers full of political prisoners - the Maximum Security Unit where Senators Jose W. Diokno and Benigno Aquino Jr. were detained. A third facility, the Youth Rehabilitation Center (YRC), was still treated as part of Fort Bonifacio but was later turned into the Makati City Jail. These detention centers became infamous for the numerous human rights abuses of the Marcos dictatorship, including warrantless detention and torture.

1974 - the name of the Taguig's political subdivisions was changed from "barrios" to "barangays" following the nationwide implementation of the Integrated Reorganization Plan (IRP) under Presidential Decree No. 557. The IRP increased Taguig's administrative divisions to 18 barangays, namely, Bagong Tanyag, Bagumbayan, Bambang, Calzada, Hagonoy, Ibayo-Tipas, Ligid-Tipas, Lower Bicutan, Maharlika, Napindan, Palingon, Signal Village, Santa Ana, Tuktukan, Upper Bicutan, Ususan, Wawa, and Western Bicutan.

November 7, 1975 - Taguig seceded from the province of Rizal to become part of the newly formed the National Capital Region through Presidential Decree No. 824.

Taguig Cityhood

1998 - A law was enacted, pushing for the cityhood of Taguig. The resulting plebiscite on April 25 showed that the citizens were against the cityhood.

February 19, 2004 - A petition to the Supreme Court sought a recount of the plebiscite and the Supreme Court, ordered the Commission on Elections to conduct a recount.

December 8, 2004 - The recount showed that the residents did want the municipality of Taguig to become a city (21,105 'yes' and 19,460 'no'). Subsequently, Taguig became a city.

2008 - The City Council created 10 new barangays by virtue of City Ordinance Nos. 24–27, 57–61, 67–69, and 78, Series of 2008, carving them out from the initial 18 barangays.


December 2008 - After a successful plebiscite, the numbers of barangays in the city increased from 10 to 28 barangays. The 10 newly created barangays were Central Bicutan, New Lower Bicutan, Fort Bonifacio, Katuparan, North Signal Village, South Signal Village, South Daanghari, North Daanghari, Pinagsama, San Miguel, and Tanyag.

2011 - during 424th foundation day, Mayor Lani Cayetano takes pride in calling the city a “ProbinSyudad” because it is the only remaining city in Metro Manila which has the amenities of a highly urbanized city, yet has the feel and relaxing atmosphere of a province plus its people exude the values and magandang asal of the probinsyano, what with its more than 10 kilometers of lakeshore, with farmers, fishermen, old churches, a historic lighthouse, and with people whose virtue of pagtutulungan is still very much alive.



Fort Bonifacio boundary dispute

2003 - The Pasig Regional Trial Court (RTC) ruled that Fort Bonifacio and Pinagsama Village belongs to Taguig.

2011 - The Pasig RTC also ruled that the "embo" barangays (Cembo, South Cembo, East Rembo, West Rembo, Comembo, Pembo), as well as Rizal and Pitogo, are part of Taguig since they were formerly part of the military reservation. Pateros also claims the "embo" barangays, parts of Taguig and Fort Bonifacio, but the municipality's petition were dismissed by the Supreme Court.

2013 - The Court of Appeals stopped Taguig from exercising jurisdiction in the said areas.

2017 - the Court of Appeals upheld its final decision that Fort Bonifacio belongs to Taguig; it was later upheld by the Supreme Court in 2022. The Supreme Court junked the motion for reconsideration that was filed by the Makati city government to override the court's earlier decision, siding with Taguig a year later.

2020 -  According to census, the population of the city was 886,722, making it the seventh most populous city in the Philippines, and the fourth most populous city in Luzon.


2021 - Makati then elevated its dispute to the Supreme Court, which in December 2021 decided in favor of Taguig. The SC formally denied the Petition for Review on Certiorari filed by Makati on the 2017 decisions by both itself and the CA.

2021 - According to Commission on Audit (COA)'s Annual Financial Report on Local Governments, Taguig City is the 5th richest city in the country with total assets worth P36 billion.


April 27, 2022 - The Supreme Court upheld the 2011 Pasig RTC ruling that declared that the 729 ha (7.29 km2) Bonifacio Global City complex, along with several surrounding barangays of Makati (Pembo, Comembo, Cembo, South Cembo, West Rembo, East Rembo, and Pitogo), was under the jurisdiction of the Taguig city government. However, Makati released a statement saying that it would continue exercising jurisdiction over areas it controlled until it received an official copy of the decision.

April 2023 - The Supreme Court junked the motion for reconsideration that was filed by Makati to override the court's earlier decision, siding with Taguig. The city government of Taguig released a statement "welcoming the new Taguigeños", referring to the residents of the affected Embo barangays, and saying that the Taguig LGU will start working on the transition and handover of the Embo barangays.

Makati Mayor Abby Binay claimed that the dispute is "not yet over", stating that her office has received a notice that the Supreme Court has set its case with Taguig for oral arguments.

June 29, 2023 - The SC rejected Makati's motion to file a second appeal, saying that it is generally prohibited under their rules. It also said its en banc "is not an appellate court" and will not entertain further pleadings in the case.



ALSO IN TAGUIG


IMPORTANT NOTE: ang Taguigeño blog ay hindi konektado sa anumang account ng Taguig City government. Ito ay nabuo upang maghatid ng napapanahong balita at impormasyon para sa lahat ng Taguigeño.
taguig venice, taguig history, taguig bgc, taguig city barangays, taguig city hall, taguig city map, taguig tourist spot, taguig city hall phone number


Post a Comment