The heritage house of Yamzon in the center of Taguig.

The Yamzon Ancestral House is one of the remaining heritage houses in Taguig City. This is a second generation heritage home that was built in the year 1930 at the corner of J. P. Rizal and Padre Jose A. Burgos (now F. Y. Manalo) streets in Brgy. Sta. Ana. It is opposite the former and first Municipal Tribunal of Taguig or municipality which is now Plaza Quezon and the historic church of Taguig. It is a stone house built during the American colonial occupation.

According to the management of the house, the original and first generation Yamzon house was first built during the Spanish era by their ancestor Mr. Anastacio Yamzon. But it was burned on the new year of 1897. It is said that it was deliberately burned by rebel rebels during the Philippine and Spanish war to terrorize the guardia civil who made the Taguig church a comandancia or headquarters. This can also be read in the book of Jose Pagtakhan who was the Municipal President or Mayor of Taguig in the year 1916 to 1925.

Atty and his wife lived here. Jacinto Toribio Yamzon, a native of Taguig and Mrs. Soledad Cupay who is a Tausug from the Province of Agusan del Norte. Some of their offspring are Jesus Yamzon, Teresita Yamzon Go, Josefina Yamzon who is a nun, Jorge Yamzon and Fe Yamzon. The three remaining children are all living in America except for Teresita Yamzon Go who lives in brgy. Tuktukan who served as the first Probation Officer of the town of Taguig.

Atty. Jacinto Toribio Yamzon served as Provincial Fiscal in Agusan del Norte (1931-1934) which was the way he met his future wife, Soledad. He was also appointed fiscal in the province of Ilocos Sur from 1935 to 1936. In the Province of Rizal in 1936-1937 and in the Province of Bulacan in 1946. In the end, President Ramon Magsaysay appointed him Juez ng Bayan ng Las Nieves, in Agusan del North, on April 12, 1956.

Fiscal Yamzon was one of the reasons for exposing the alleged anomalous corruption of Elpidio Quirino in Ilocos Sur who was then Secretary of Finance and Interior during the Commonwealth Government.

According to the account of one of Yamzon's grandchildren, his grandfather Jacinto was a friend of President Quezon. It is said that his grandfather once invited the president to visit their home so that he could see the new monument that the people of Taguig built for President Quezon which is just opposite their house. But it is not clear if this is acceptable.

The Yamzon family also donated one of the replica images of Poong Santa Ana that is still used by the church. This is according to the Cultural Heritage Committee of the Church of Sta. Ana.

One is Atty. Jacinto T. Yamzon among many prominent people from Taguig who were zoned by Japanese soldiers at the height of the war. He was arrested at their home and imprisoned in the church of Sta. Ana. He was one of those rescued by American soldiers when Taguig was liberated from the Japanese on February 23, 1945.


The Yamzon house is made of materiales fuertes. Its foundations on the first floor are adobes plastered with cement. Its columns, ceiling and floor on the second floor are made of quality period wood. The window and windows are made of capiz. It has corner posts that serve as small pillars between each corner of the house's wall. Also of calados to penetrate the air on each wall of the room.

Also noteworthy is its meda aguas (gable) roof design, which is an effective protection against sunlight and heavy downpours. It also has an eave made of stained glass on the lower part of the ceiling to add light to the interior of the house.

These homes are popular among those who live in Taguig and those who live in the middle class. This is usually built next to the calle real (thoroughfare) so that processions, parades or any street activity can be easily seen.

The Bahay Yamzon is a silent witness to the important histories of Taguig in the political and religious fields. In its present condition, it needs a serious repair (restoration) so that it can last longer. But such an initiative is still at the decision of the Yamzon relatives, unless there is an intervention from another sector.

There are more than seventy (70) old houses left in Taguig. It is located in the Barangays of Ligid, Palingon, Calzada, Sta. Ana, Bambang, Tuktukan, Ususan, Wawa and Hagonoy.

May these heritage homes in Taguig remain standing for a long time or else be utilized in things suitable for their use (adaptive re-use) so that they are not completely neglected and demolished.


IMPORTANT NOTE: ang Taguigeño blog ay hindi konektado sa anumang account ng Taguig City government. Ito ay nabuo upang maghatid ng napapanahong balita at impormasyon para sa lahat ng Taguigeño.
taguig venice, taguig history, taguig bgc, taguig city barangays, taguig city hall, taguig city map, taguig tourist spot, taguig city hall phone number

Post a Comment